RSS

Saturday, January 9, 2010

I have arrived!





What a great way to start off 2010! I arrived in Santo Domingo two days ago, and so far I'm impressed. Ina's house is awesome! We have the best courtyard out back with palm trees and other tropical plants all over it. We leave the windows open all the time and wake up to roosters. Her house is painted yellow with royal blue accents and wicker furniture. My room is technically the maid quarters, but it has its own bathroom, a view of the awesome courtyard and is super cute...tough life huh? There are also two screened in porches, one with swings and the other with rocking chairs, which are great for Bible studies. I have vowed to work on building discipline in my life this year both spiritually and physcially. I have a ton of books I plan on reading all about building a healthy relationship with God...thanks to Mom, Diane and the Eagles!!! I'm really enjoying this time and I already feel myself changing (imagine that come April!) Nothing like moving overseas by yourself to make you really anazlyze yourself, and the life you've decided to live. The good news is, its not too late to change! I've already met some really amazing people (Ina included :->) who I just know are going to be life-changers. I feel so honored to be chosen to be a part of this whole plan.




We went grocery shopping today at a regular grocery store and at PriceSmart which is exactly like Costco...my grandparents would feel right at home! We bought a Wok today and already used it for dinner, so delicious. We had fish doused in lemon pepper, which might be my new favorite food, veggies with seasoning cooked in the Wok, and wild rice that bubbles when you make it in the rice cooker...surprisingly still good to eat when mixed with the veggies! I am already a pretty good baker, but I am going to become a cooker on this trip as well. My friend Laura has inspired me...tastespotting.com! (Laura, they actually have whole sections in the grocery store for vegans-its the Ellwood Thompson of the islands!) I also got a phone while I was out and already have one phonenumber in it! No US friends, you cannot call it because I'm really busy with my new friends. Just kidding! But its super expensive to call from a cellie, so let the Skype'ing begin :>

Verse for the day: "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord, not for men." ~Colossians 3:23

3 comments:

Kristin said...

hahhaa what is your cell phone number so we (and I mean mom, dad and stacen) can stalk you?!? ps change your theme back to the old one!

ps..I found a verse in this book I'm reading and thought of you and your adventures:

"Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully."
~ 1 Peter 5:7

Susan Foose said...

Hey Sweetie--WOW, I just love how computer savvy you are and how you can even post pictures!!!! Ina's place is just precious. You're there in 86 degree weather and we may have hit 20 degrees today!!!!

You're right hon, your life is changing and it's soooooo exciting to watch how things are changing along with you. Look at Kristin changing too--hey Kristin, look at you looking up scripture!!!! You go girl!!!! I love that scripture myself Kristin about casting our whole care on God becuase He can watch over us better than we can ourselves. I also love Jenny's scripture--whatever we do we should do with our whole heart. No mom could ever be prouder of her children. I thank God daily for gifting me with the two of you. I'm blessed beyond belief.

Jenny--how was Cercadillo? I know you went there yesterday. Ed's message was SOOOOOO good yesterday too. Are you able to pull it up there? He talked about how we so often struggle in our own strength (like in a row boat) and then how some folks just sit back and coast (in a raft). We're to sail through life--leaning into God (like a sailboat leans into the wind). We still have to do some work but our main job is to lean into Him. It was AWESOME!!!!!

Love you with all my heart hon forever and always!!!!!!

"Above all that I put on, I put on love. I clothe myself with behavior marked by mercy, tender hearted pity, kind feelings, a lowly opinion of myself, gentle ways and patience. I have the power to endure whatever comes with good temper. I am gentle and forbearing with others and, if I have a difference or a grievance with someone; even as the Lord has freely forgiven me, I also forgive others."
~ Colossians 3:12-14

I'll have to have Kristin skype with me because I sure do miss you Jenny.

Quintessential_Laura said...

The place looks awesome!! Glad you're breaking in the kitchen already <3

Post a Comment