RSS

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Lost






So I wanted to give you all a schedule of what we do here:

Monday-Sabbath
Tuesday & Wednesday-Planning, preparing, organizing
Thursday-Every other one is Bible study
Friday-Cercadillo:Bible study, then work
Saturday-Planning, preparing, organizing
Sunday-Church downtown, then put on church for Cercadillo

In the Dominican Republic, you have to make plans to achieve something, but you also have to be prepared for those plans to completely fall through. We had this week laid out for workshops in the village both Wednesday and Friday to see where these women's strengths and weaknesses were, but we have no car to get there. When I first arrived, it was a holiday so I have not had a chance to work with the women yet but I did get to participate in a Bible study with them. We have, however, gotten to go put on church for them every Sunday so far. Although I could not understand a single word, I know it was amazing. Ina was telling me about some of these women that have come so far and are seeing God work in their lives and its just amazing. I cannot wait to understand!

I started studying some Spanish flash cards last night but just got to numbers. That's important for importing and exporting (and maybe some shopping)!

So many people around the Dominican Republic are helping out in Haiti that there are literally no cars left to rent! Any ships that were going to bring freight here, have been bringing supplies to Haiti. There are workshops taking place teaching people how to amputate, and churches everywhere are collecting supplies to send. Its beautiful to see how two countries that do not usually get along, are helping and relying on eachother completely. I know I'm right next door to this crisis, but I do not feel led to go as of now. It is pretty dangerous, and I'm not a doctor by any means, so I'm still focusing on Cercadillo (but in constant prayer for the volunteers there and the 1.5 million people without homes). We have cleaned out our house of any and all supplies that can be sent there (toothpaste, toothbrushes, socks, blankets, water purification containers, etc) and are opening our house to the piolets that have been flying back and forth.

The car we were borrowing left for Haiti, so we haven't had a car since Tuesday but we should be getting it back Saturday night. We've been taking this time to get the house in order. We've been cleaning, organizing and redecorating from top to bottom. We need to tackle Ina's office, but that will come after this break :> After all of this, we will start taking inventory of our supplies for our crafts. I think this will really help to know what is working and to continue producing, and what is a flop.

So after all of those projects during the day, we take time at night to really bond...over Lost :> Is anyone as addicted to that as I am? I have never watched it until now but I am hooked! We just started watching season 1 and Jack is my hero. (Don't read on if you want to ever become addicted because I might ruin it!) We just came to the part where Kate found that little airplane and confessed that she killed a guy. So who did she kill and why did she have to rob a bank for a little airplane? Where did Ethan take Claire?!?! Is he an "other" or is he related to the French girl?!?! Is Jack's dad really alive? Does Sawyer get Kate? I cannot wait to find all of this out...don't spoil it for me!

Verse for the day: "In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith-of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire-may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed." ~1 Peter 1:6-7

1 comment:

Susan Foose said...

Hey Jen, I finally got onto your blog at the hotel. OMG--are you an IT major or what?!?!?! Your blog page looks like it was done professionally. It's incredible. I love the butterflies and flowers (soooo you) and the brick wall background. You go girl!!! You're really fitting in, I knew you would because you acclimate to each and every situation. That's one of the jazillion things that I love about you!!!

I love how the folks there are helping the Haitians despite their differences. The world can learn some things from them. Can't wait to hear your Spanish when I come in March!!!!

You're scripture verses are always SOOOOO relevant Jenny. Keep up the great work and I'm counting the days until I can see you again!!!!!

Love forever and always,
Yo Mama

Post a Comment