RSS

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Twas The Night Before Leaving

Twas the night before leaving, when all through the house,
my suitcase was growing, with sunscreen and blouse (s).

:)

I recently quit my job at a large department store in the South, turned down a job with a top 4 accounting/Government contracting company, and now I am leaving for a 3 month journey to the Dominican Republic. Tomorrow, January 7, 2010 at 7:50am is when I depart and I could not be more excited! I will be living in Villa Mella (via may-a) with Ina, the founder of The Cercadillo Project. The village of Cercadillo has many crafters that create beautiful purses, jewelry, and home accents. These people are very talented, but they do not exist to their government. They immigrated here and have no birth certificates or social security numbers so they are denied schooling and employment. Ina has set up a school, church, and is in the beginning stages of teaching them how to make these various works of art. They are at a point to begin earning an income from their craftiness but do not know how...that is where I come in! My Fashion Merchandising degree has come in handy by sending me to Guatemala for a Line Development class in 2007, and I hope to use some of those skills for this project.

There is no set itinerary for my stay, and I actually prefer it that way. I'll just kind of figure things out once I get down there. I have no idea what to expect, so follow me on this journey and lets go find the treasure!

Verse for the day: "See I will bring them from the land of the north and gather them from the ends of the earth. Among them will be the blind and the lame, expectant mothers and women in labor; a great throng will return." ~Jeremiah 31:8

4 comments:

Quintessential_Laura said...

Safe travels. Can't wait to hear more about your adventure!

Sunny Gurl said...

I cannot wait to hear how the Lord is using you and growing you on this journey. Praying for safety, wisdom and lots of amazing moments!
Hugs!
Lori

Diane@gatewaychurch.org said...

Heard you made it safe and sound. So glad! :) Enjoy this time...this is one of those rare times you get when your life is unencumbered. You'll realize soon enough that life is really short and you are getting an incredible opportunity to see the world through God's eyes. Look and listen for Him...I know He has great things in store for you over the next 3 months as you discover more about yourself and more about your Heavenly Father! Looking forward to your posts...

Susan Foose said...

JENNY!!!!!! I finally figured out how to send a note. It was so wonderful to hear your voice yesterday hon and the house is way too quiet with you being gone. How fortunate the lovely people of Cercadillo are to have you there. When they get to know you they too will have a hard time saying goodbye to such an incredible person. I have such peace about this hon and truly know that God has guided you and will keep you safe in the DR. He called and you listened and your life will be abundantly blessed for heeding to His voice. "Many are called, few are chosen." Matthew 22:14 Enjoy each day as it unfolds. Even Kristin told me last night that she misses you SOOOOOO much. By the way, she had an AWESOME time at small group last night. I know that you're in 80+ degree weather now and we have snow and ice again today. YIKERS!!!!!! I'll probably work from home in front of the fireplace. I love and miss you sooooooooo much. Please don't forget to take your malaria pills each and every day too. God bless you babe!!!!!! Smoochies, Yo Mama

Post a Comment